Thursday 19 September 2013

Story - Magic Awakes - Part Three

  We slip out of the trees. The scent of water sweeps over me, carried on the breeze. Eric takes my hand and together we move toward the lake. The moment I step into the sun, I can feel warmth spread through me. As sunlight dances on my skin, heat seeps deep inside, curling in my gut. Eric's breath catches, and I know he is feeling it too.
  We step closer to the water, and the others fall in behind us. Kyra and Anthony step in front of us. Slipping barefoot into the water, excitement radiates off them. The water around them begins to move, pushing against their legs. Kyra reaching down, and the water surges higher, as if eager to welcome them. The breeze kicks up, wrapping around us.
  Nikki and Jake toss their heads back. Nikki's hair is streaming back, forming a halo behind her. Ryan drops to his knees in the mud at the lake's shore. He pulls Maegan down with him, and together they bury their hands in the soil. I can see pure bliss sweep over the others with us.
  Longing sweeps through me. Eric tightens his grip on my hand, and I know he feels the same longing I do. We turn our faces to the sun and bathe in the warmth. I can feel my skin absorbing the heat in the air. I can feel a smile play over my face as the heat intensifies. This is what I needed. Eric steps closer, sharing his warmth with e. The sun beats down on us, a brilliant radiance stirring the fire deep inside me.
  A searing heat engulfs my hand. I look down to see the flames dancing around our linked hands; I can feel the warmth of it, but it does't hurt. I smile to myself, remembering all the times I forgot to wear sunscreen but never burned. We stand there, at the edge of the lake, and time loses all meaning. Contentment sweeps through me as I stare at the fire playing over our skin.
  A sound pulls me from my daydream, a soft step as someone new approaches. As one, the eight of us turn to face the intruder. The stranger is tall, well built, and old. He's definitely fit, but his grey hair and wrinkled skin easily puts him in his eighties. He walks toward us, and I can feel the confidence in him. The stranger is strong, and he knows it. He stops a few feet away. Looking at each of us in turn, the old man smiles.I can feel myself relax, and I somehow know he is not a threat to us.
  "You're all here," the old man speaks, his voice is rough and weathered. "Good. I didn't expect you all to be here so soon." The wind whips around us, and the stranger closes his eyes and relaxes into it. After a moment, he opens his eyes and looks at us. I can feel his gaze linger on the flames still writhing around our hands. He looks quickly to Ryan and Maegan where they are standing anchored in the ground. Then he shifts his gaze to Kyra and Anthony and the water playing around their feet.
  He smiles again, his expression full of satisfaction. "It seems you've also found your giftings. Excellent. I can begin training you immediately, and you may even survive this time."
  Eric's head snaps up, and a ripple of shock courses through us all. "This time?" Eric asks. "What do you mean, 'this time'? Who exactly are you?"
  "Me? I'm simply the Guide. I'll teach you what you need to know to survive and help you to find your path. My name is Ishma'al. Now we must move, and quickly, before the mob arrives.Yes they are coming. Follow me now."

No comments:

Post a Comment