Monday 9 September 2013

Story - Magic Awakens - Part Two

  Eric drags me to my feet, and we start to run. We stick to the grass as much as possible. Rounding a corner, we see the city's oldest park. Grass stretches as far as the eye can see. There are rolling hills, huge trees, streams and even a lake. We wander through the park in awe, marveling in the softness of the grass beneath bare feet. It's not long before we find ourselves strolling along the ban of a crystal clear stream. Sunlight shimmers on the water's surface, and I can feel myself relax into the heat of the day.

  Eric takes my hand in his, and we stop to absorb the wonders around us. The stream laughs and sings as it plays among the rocks. I can smell the water, the plants, the life all around us. We follow the stream into a thicket of trees. The leaves are lit up and glowing, as if they have been kissed by lightening.

  My heartbeat drums in my ears, and my pulse thunders. I know the others are nearby. I can feel them moving through the trees. Between one step and the next, we move from dense forest to an open clearing. I can see the others moving into the clearing in pairs. On the far side of the clearing is the park's lake. Deep and clear, it gleams a deep, rich blue.

  I look around at the others, and I know we are family. I know we are stronger together, that simply being near each other will strengthen us all. We're going to be needing that strength and courage, if we are to have any hope of doing what's needed.

  Eric is still holding my hand, and I look around. There are four others here. I know them, the way I know Eric. I have always know them, even thought we have never laid eyes on each other before today. I see NIkki and Jake, both seem to hold the wind in their hands. Both are pale, with white blond hair and the lightest of blue eyes. Near them are Maegan and Ryan. I can feel the earth welcoming them. With hair as rich a brown as the soil beneath their feet, they truly seem to belong to the Earth.

  I turn to my right, expecting to see another pair. Kyra and Anthony should be here. I can feel my confusion spread through the others. Something is wrong. They should be here. We need them.I hold tight to Eric, and together we move in the direction they should be. We aren't complete without them. We won't be able to accomplish what we need to without them.

  I glance behind me, and as I expected, I see the other four following us. Instinct is screaming at me. I know Kyra and Anthony are in trouble. We have to find them. Racing through the trees, I lead the others to the far side of the park. Moving out from under the trees, we move quickly over the rolling hills. We stop short of the street on the far side of the park.

  In a small valley, just out of sight of the road, there's a crowd gathered.I can feel the anger in the mob, and I can see Kyra and Anthony surrounded by them. The two of them are standing back to back, and somehow I know the crowd's anger is directed at our missing pair.

  As one, we move through the crowd. I can feel them staring at us as we weave between the angry bodies. We step into the centre of the ring and quickly move around the pair we'd been missing. Without a word, Kyra takes my free hand, and one by one, our group takes hold of each other. We're finally together. Now if we can only make it past the crowd and back into the shelter of the trees.

  I have Kyra on my right and Eric on my left. Our circle closes as Maegan takes Eric's hand on my other side. A charge sweeps through me. I can feel it; heat flows out of my right hand.I can feel it flowing through me. Moments later I feel a solidness slip into me. I feel the ground beneath my feet, firm and reassuring. That strength winds its way into me; anchoring me to the ground. A breeze flows over me, teasing my hair. I feel light. If not for the solidness of the earth beneath my feet, I fear I would float away. Rain begins to fall from a clear sky. Cool and refreshing, I feel alive. Heat sweeps back into me from my left hand, from Eric.

  I can feel the power in the air, in all of us. The mob surrounding us feels it too. I can see unease move through them. The crowd gets restless, and I know we need to take advantage of their hesitation. I take a single step toward the trees and the mob in front of me backs away. As a single unit, we walk together. The crowd parts; I can taste the fear coming off them. We walk through them, and they fade from in front of us like mist. In moments we are back under the shelter of the trees. I can feel the life here. We pause for a moment, and we all breathe deep. Then we head for the lake. We need to be there. We were all drawn there for a reason. It's where we belong. There's something there that we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment