Friday 13 September 2013

Musing - Fear; failure and success

Dreams. Vision. Passion. Success.These are the things that drive us. They move us, give us something to strive for. We fight for them, to reach them. They linger, sometimes just out of sight, and sometimes well within reach.

There are so many things that can hold us back from following our passion. Lack of finances, opportunity or training. But among all the challenges we face, there is one that is simply the hardest to overcome. Fear. Fear holds us back in ways nothing else will.

Most of us are familiar with fear. One of the most common ways we see fear is a fear of failure. It tells us we aren't good enough to make it. We'll never be the best, never even be seen. Why bother trying when we'll just fall flat on our faces? There are countless books and movies that deal with this fear. They show people of all shapes, sizes, beliefs and colours all facing down their fear of failure and finding their dreams. They conquer their fear and achieve greatness.

But there's another fear. It's more subtle. It hides. It doesn't make sense, so we disregard it; so often we don't even realise how terrified we really are. it's the fear of success. Yes, you read that right. I know you're asking why anyone would possibly be afraid of success? Why would anyone fear achieving what they strive for, and dream of? I know you're asking, because I asked the same thing...right after I realised how very afraid I am of seeing my dreams come true.

I've spent the last year working on a novel. When I started writing it I was so excited, but the closer I got to the end, the harder it became. Completing my novel meant success, and that scared me. But I finally did it. And then I began revising. Editing wasn't hard either. Time consuming yes, but not hard. Yet, the closer I got to the end of each draft, the scarier it was. Now I was facing not only the completion of a novel, but the fact that I would be ready for readers.

I was so afraid. What if it was bad? What if no one liked it? What if it was so horrible that there was not salvaging it? Yes, I was afraid of all those things. But even more so< I was afraid of my story being amazing. I still am. Yes, I want it to be fantastic. I want to captivate my audience. I want everyone who reads it to fall in love with my book. I want to reach people, to move them, and to impact their lives.

I want that so badly. It's my dream, my passion to change people's lives with my stories. It's also my greatest fear. What happens when my book becomes a best seller (it if ever does)? What happens when someone tells me how it changed their life? So much is unknown. I know what failure feels like. It sucks. So does mediocrity. But as hard as they are, they are also very familiar. Success is an unknown.
The uncertainty is scary. But it's more than that. What if I'm never as good again? what if I disappoint those looking to me? What if I find success and it changes me? Wouldn't failure hurt that much more after reaching your goal? And where do you go when you've reached the top of the mountain, and there's no where left to climb.

You learn to fly. My first mountain was reaching "The End" of my story. After that, I had to learn to fly a little, so I could reach my goal of revising. There is always another goal to strive for, another dream to seek. And for me, I think there will always be that fear to conquer.

But along with these fears, there is one more thing I face. It's not quite a fear; more of a desperation. I can no longer stay where I am. I'm facing down my fears because I'm desperate for a change. I need to see a difference in who I am, and chancing this dream, pouring everything I am into it, will change me. Succeed or fail, I'm not on a journey. I will be someone different at the end, no matter what that end may be. I can assure you, it will be well outside my comfort zone.

What about you? What is your dream? What fears hold you back? How desperate are you to see a change in your life. Comment and share your story with me, or ask questions about mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment